Friday, May 8, 2009

The art of taking your life not too seriously....

Try to think of the contexts in which the two words - "serious" and "chill" are used, and make a comparison. It won't take too long for you to realize that "serious" makes the smile on your face disappear and "chill" makes you feel relaxed and at peace. Now both the words have their own unique objectives and importance in your thoughts, written or verbal correspondences, but these words take a new meaning when they are prefixed with "too". We all know that it is important to be serious about things that matter to you and it is equally important to take it easy and be chill about certain things in life, so you do not land up feeling stressed. But sometimes we underestimate the effect of a simple addition of "too" to these two words. I am sure most of you will agree that it is not good to be too serious or too chill. But how many of you are actually successful in implementing this thought process? Is it easy to achieve a fine balance between the two? People who suffer from the latter of the two, are too chill to realize the importance of being serious, and people who suffer from the former, are too serious to be chill, even regarding the most mundane things in life. I suffer from the former....

When I was a little girl, I used to feel it is my personal responsibility to clean up the mess created by others. I remember putting my heart and soul in consistently getting good grades, and being in good books of all the teachers. I used to carry an unnecessary burden on my shoulders of excelling in whatever I do. Most of the times the things that I wanted to excel in, were not defined by me. I was so focused on performing well in something that others believed in, that somewhere down the road I lost track in understanding my passions and beliefs. Smallest of things used to find a way to directly reach my heart. Anything and everything that was important to my family, friends, and teachers was infinitely more important to me. It was all about performing, excelling, hard work, perfection, pleasing others and loosing out on a lot of fun. There was no room for exploring what I really wanted to do. In a nutshell, I used to take things too seriously....and I must confess that to an extent I still have that little girl inside me who thinks and over analyzes every situation to perfection. It is tougher to let go of things and move on when you take your life too seriously...it is like an extra baggage that comes with it. You tend to get hurt easily and you also tend to be over sensitive regarding the people whom you love. And this affects not only you, but also to an extent the ones whom you love. I envy those who have an attitude of being chill when it comes to sensitive matters…a more popular and intriguing term for this in Hindi is being 'bindaas'.

I discovered that I have a natural flair for so many things, much later in my life. Unfortunately this discovery was not a self-initiated or a voluntary step; it was only when life put me in a situation in which I was forced to discover other facets of my abilities. I took it as a sign to break away from my zone of constantly competing with life in an attempt to stay ahead of everything, and decided to walk hand in hand with my life to unleash the other gifts that God has given me. I decided to take a chill pill and be bindaas. I believe that for a peaceful and happy life, it is definitely important to master that balance between being too serious and being too chill. At times when I look back at my life, I wonder why I was so hard on myself and really wish that I would not have taken my life too seriously...because life truly is all about having a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment