Monday, April 6, 2009

Are our minds ready to accept the real "Give and Take Philosophy"?

Ever since we were kids, we have been advised to follow what has been believed to be written in "The Life's Little Book of Rules". As we grow older, we are encouraged to carry the concise version of the book in our mind wherever we go. I personally love to connect with the concise version every now and then. The thoughts and sayings of life which have been in existence over many years always have an undercurrent of how complicated our life actually is. They have an intriguing ability to convey the life's lessons in a manner which is so to the point, and has a tremendous potential of creating a positive impact on our minds. The sayings of life, which often are termed as 'cliche', never cease to amaze me. Every time when I read or remind myself of one of these cliched sayings, - "Happiness is a choice", "Everything happens for a reason", " All for the best", "What goes around, comes around". "Tough times don't last, but tough people do", they help me to build an inner strength to win against the current situation that I am facing. Some sayings actually remain with you forever like your best friends. Unfortunately, not everybody connects with these sayings the way I do. I have the highest regard for people who actually wrote these sayings and shared their thoughts with the whole world. I would like to thank them and tell them that the readers and followers of their thoughts today feel privileged and blessed. I am sure there are many like me who have were able to think clearly and put a lot of things into perspective because of them. Which brings me to think why do people underestimate the power of these quotes, sayings and thoughts on life? I have experienced rolling of eyes, blank stare, acknowledgment which is not heartfelt, when I have suggested my loved ones to map these life's lessons to their situations....and then I wonder why don't they feel the effect of satisfaction and hope the way I do. When I map a life's saying to my situation, I allow my mind to get unclogged and welcome the enlightenment and clarity which these sayings bring to me.

The mind of many is ruled by the "Give and Take Philosophy". Most expect a tangible return for their giving...which is not wrong. But this world will definitely be a happier place when people give, and take in return something which may not be too obvious, tangible, instant or short lived....but try to derive something which goes beyond the expected returns. If you try to push your mind to think exponentially, you can generate returns which are long lived, intangible, which stay with you, which help to develop and build a part of you, which going ahead can help you in a small way or a big way, which could be a small minuscule part of the foundation that you wish to build for your future or a step towards your next big leap in life! There is so much to derive from small things in life! ...and there is so much to derive from these very short and concise sayings of life...

My most recent encounter and experience of embracing life's lessons was when I arrived in US. I was living a content life in my home country, India, personally as well as professionally. After arriving here, it was initially difficult for me to come to terms with the fact that it is not easy to get your professional life back on track when you fly across the globe to be in another continent. I connected with my concise version of life's sayings and opened my mind to break away from the monotony in my thought process. I realized there is so much that you can do when your mind is flexible. A flexible mindset always absorbs more returns than a mindset ruled by set of boundaries and expectations. I worked at a restaurant, this was my chance to meet people who did not belong to my race and my ethnicity. This was my chance to communicate with people who do not speak my language...and boy there was so much to learn, so much to absorb, so many returns... One should not allow the "Give and Take Philosophy" to narrow their minds. The life's simple but powerful sayings have taught me to give a different meaning to the "Give and Take Philosophy". It has taught me that there is a lot to learn even from a single line or a statement and four words do have the power of conveying an everlasting message.

No comments:

Post a Comment